BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Nine-year-old Oskar Schell has embarked on an urgent, secret mission that will take him through the five boroughs of New York. His goal is to find the lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on the morning of September 11. This seemingly impossible task will bring Oskar into contact with survivors of all sorts on an exhilarating, affecting, often hilarious, and ultimately healing journey (goodreads).

Where do I begin? Seriously, if any of you have read this novel, you know exactly what I mean. I don't know for sure what I expected when I picked up this book, but it sure wasn't what I got. Usually, I go through and underline the phrases that I like, things that catch my attention a certain way. I didn't even bother to do that. If I would have, whole pages would have been highlighted and marked up!
It isn't a quick read, but I was sad when I was done. It was so creatively done, so intriguing. It always had my attention. It's a serious book, not much humor involved. But that's a nice change.

This book isn't young adult, so I don't recommend it to you if you're looking for some light fluff to read poolside. But it will get you thinking and it will captivate you. Jonathan Safran Foer is a genius.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really helpful to get reviews on a site like that in one place.

Jogos de construir

Unknown said...

What a thoughtful review. I'm completely intrigued. I appreciate that you are clear about the downside of the book, the fact that it isn't really YA material, while not letting that effect your awe and admiration for the work. You are amazing and I would love it if you would review my book, Faetal, which is available on Amazon. You can download it for free 12/16/12.

Have a lovely day!
Siobhan Shier

http://SiobhanShier.com

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I love this book! Was browsing through some YA blogs, stumbled across yours and had to comment. I find Jonathan Safran Foer's stuff kind of hard going sometimes, and definitely heartbreaking, but so worth it!

Unknown said...

Free Data Entry Job Trial(11558)

Get A Free Data Entry Job Trial When You Register In The $10biz.
Get Paid Directly To Any Account Instantly.
Earn $10 For Every Order Processed
For Full Details Visit Http://www.Jobzinn.com
Click On Email Processing Jobs

Arch@BloggingProfitsUnleashed said...

really awesome review im glad i found your blog before i bought the book

Paige Murray said...

I really love your blog! I'm a new follower :)
Follow back: http://thepaige-turner.blogspot.com/ thank you so much!

ubishah said...

Free Data Entry Job Trial(11555)

Get A Free Data Entry Job Trial When You Register In The $10biz.
Get Paid Directly To Any Account Instantly.
Earn $10 For Every Order Processed
For Full Details Visit Http://www.Jobzinn.com
Click On Email Processing Jobs

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.