BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski

Gimme a Call by Sarah Mlynowski summary: (in my own words)
Lonely and remorseful, Devi goes to the mall by herself on senior skip day, in an attempt to feel less sorry for herself. But she finds herself wishing for a chance to change the past, to get it all right-- stay away from Bryan, the boy who shattered her heart; keep in touch with friends instead of spending every waking moment with Bryan; and getting better grades to get accepted to a better school by not ditching oppurtunities to study for a moment to be with Bryan. So it all goes back to him. Until she drops her cell phone into the fountain and gets the chance to talk to her younger self and convince the younger Devi (called 'Frosh') to stay away from Bryan. But then what happens when other things change?

I actually enjoyed this book. It was a fresh concept. The plot reminded me a bit of Back to the Future, but in a good way (I'm a huge fan of those movies!). While at times things seemed to be a little redundant, I was still amused. But by the end of the book, I was thoroughly annoyed with Ivy (the older Devi) and her selfish bossiness. I felt like I could relate more to the younger her, even though I'm not quite sure why she did all the things she did. Overall, Sarah Mlynowski went about writing this in a good manner, keeping things interesting by switching point of views and changing how Ivy's life played out all the time. On a scale from one to ten, I'd give this a 5.8.

0 comments: